Why is Chocolate Bad for Dogs?

Everyone must be wondering why chocolate is so harmful to dogs. What we need to do is respond to your inquiry.

Theobromine and caffeine, the two active ingredients in chocolate, work together to promote urination, speed up the heart, widen blood vessels, and calm tense smooth muscles. However, due to their impaired ability to metabolise chocolate’s chemical components, dogs are much more sensitive to the drug’s side effects than humans.

It’s important to note that different varieties of chocolate have different amounts of theobromine. Chocolate, especially the darker and more bitter types, can harm dogs. For instance, theobromine is abundant in baking and high-end dark chocolate, with each ounce holding anything from 130 to 450 mg.

Compared to white chocolate’s 0.25 mg per ounce, milk chocolate’s theobromine content ranges from 44 to 58 mg per ounce. It takes a lot of white chocolate for a dog to get sick from the fat and sugar in chocolate, but even a tiny bit of chocolate can cause chocolate poisoning.

When dogs eat chocolate, what happens to them?

Whether or not chocolate toxicity becomes an emergency depends on your dog’s weight and the sort and amount of chocolate they eat. If your dog is of a giant breed, a small amount of chocolate cake or candy is unlikely to be fatal. But chocolate is seldom a good reward for good behaviour.

In dogs, even a tiny amount of chocolate can cause stomach upset, diarrhoea, and excessive drinking (increased water intake). Larger doses may cause cardiotoxicity and convulsions.

Explore: Hair fall in Dogs & Cats

Similarly to how caffeine and theobromine block receptors in cells, these effects can be felt in the nervous system, leading to a high heart rate and a more frequent need to urinate. Chocolate’s high-fat content can set off your pancreas’ inflammatory response. Abnormal heart functioning, elevated body temperature, and respiratory failure are all potential causes of death. Explore Supertails Coupon

Here are the symptoms of eating chocolate in dogs

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs usually appear within 6-12 hours after ingestion and can last up to 72 hours. Long-term effects of dogs eating chocolate when unobserved will lead to fatal medical complications. The most common symptoms include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Restlessness
  • Irregular breathing
  • Increased urination
  • Trembling/twitching
  • Elevated or abnormal heart rate
  • Seizures
  • Collapse & death

Any amount of chocolate is fatal to a dog. So if you must treat your dog, don’t use chocolate.

You must seek emergency veterinary attention if you suspect your dog has consumed chocolate.

Small amounts of chocolate can still harm dogs, so you’ll want to induce vomiting and give your pet lots of water to drink. In chocolate ingestion of a moderate to high concentration, prompt medical attention is required to initiate life-sustaining therapy, which may include.

CouponZania
Logo